Wednesday, November 4, 2009

The Perfect Game-The Perfect Trip Part 2

I know I am behind but I'm trying to maintain priorities and I had to get away from this last week for hectic demands. Anyway, I'm back to finish the post...
Stephen's game to pitch was Sunday at 12:40. We had to win to win our pool and go into the next round of games which could lead to the championship. Word of warning, I'm going to put my mom hat on and brag so if you can't stomach that turn this off now.We allow no bragging on self around here but a mom always has license to brag on her own.
Stephen rocked. I have no idea how you perform under the pressure of so many people and scouts watching you and pitch a need-to-win game but somehow he seems to rise to that occassion.Trust me, I take NO credit for that. I would have told the coach I was sick (which probably would have been true) but I could never have stood up to that pressure now or at his age. He gave up 1 hit, there was 1 error and we won. It was awesome. I told him he should hug the neck of his infield because they made every play, only 2 fly balls to the outfield which they made, and an incredible pitching performance. Of course Stephen says it's easy to pitch with that kind of defense behind you. He knew if he got them to hit ground balls the play would be made, he was right. I'm so proud of him for being able to perform under pressure. I think it's true in our Christian walk as well. Sometimes it's easy to do the right things at church or when we are with Christian friends or we are living in our parents house and they are always watching us, but what about when the pressure's on? What about when noone's watching? What about when we are around others making wrong choices? Do we still perform? Do we still do what's right? Eddie and I tried to raise our children where of course there was a fear of the consequences we would inflict upon them for wrong choices but it has to go further than that. We knew that the fear of us would only last so long. They would spend time away from us and eventually live away from us. We wanted them to be able to perform under pressure when the only thing was do what's right because it's right. God is always watching and we always want Him to be happy with our performance.
Anyway, we went into the single elimination round, played 2 more games that day winning both of them. We played Monday in the semi-finals and lost that one. We were within 1 game of getting to the championship but it was a great run. Out of 85 teams we came in 3rd so that's pretty good.
I am also proud of those guys on the team whom Stephen said were very welcoming to him as the new kid. They all introduced themselves to him before the 1st night was over and treated him like one of the guys. No wonder they play so well together, they are a team in every sense of the word. That's also a word for our churches, but that's another post.

No comments: