Thursday, January 22, 2009

I have to say that last night was true highlight of my life. Stephen, my 17 year old, preached his first sermon. Jacob, our student minister, has a real heart for teaching kids how to do ministry so he gave Stephen the opportunity last night to preach the message at the middle school worship service, LiveWire. I had talked to Stephen several weeks ago about knowing God's plan and the call on his life. One of the things I said to him was just keep taking the opportunities God brings your way. And that's just what he did last night. I'm so thankful for a student minister who sees potential in his youth and allows them to serve as he walks alongside them. I have an incredible amount of respect for Stephen as a baseball player. You see he's a pitcher and I can't for the life of me understand how someone throws a ball that hard and by the way they throw it make the ball do all sorts of things. It's beyond me I guess cause I'm a girl and I don't get it. I love to watch him play the game, his calmness, the way he seems so "in the zone" and comfortable on the mound. I'm just amazed by it. But I have to say my amazement at him went to an entirely new level as I sat and watched him preach. I've watched his dad preach since I was 17 and 26 years later I am still in awe of him and how clearly he presents God's Word. But let me tell you... to sit there with his dad and watch our 17 year old open the Word and preach his heart out to what is probably the hardest audience to speak to, middle schoolers, it's just beyond words. I have to admit, I am so excited to see how God is going to take his love for baseball and his talent to play the sport and his call to ministry and his love for the Lord, bind it all up and continue His good work in Stephen's life. I love to see God show off in the life of our teenagers.

No comments: