Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Let the Spirit move

I had a fun day with Jessica today in Augusta doing some shopping and enjoying some mother/daughter time over lunch. But just let me say, it was freeeeezzzzing cold and WINDY!! Not my favorite kind of weather.
As we drove home God reminded me of some things. We all know you can't see the wind BUT we see evidence of it. The flags were blowing straight out, trees were bending and leaves were flying everywhere. I could feel it against the car and most definitely against myself when I got out of the car. John 3:8 says, "the wind blows wherever it pleases. You hear its sound, but you cannot tell where it comes from or where it is going. So it is with everyone born of the Spirit."
We cannot see the Holy Spirit either but we can see evidence of Him as well. We can see results of His work and movement. You can also tell with some people who are just filled to overflowing with the Spirit. Sometimes we can look at someone's body language or facial expression and see evidence of the Spirit within them or maybe a lack of. Some people just glow with Jesus all over them and others look as though they have been baptized in vinegar as my husband will say. Oftentimes it's the lack of peace and joy in our life that influences our attitudes and actions. Just being stressed out over trivial things instead of focused on kingdom matters. John 14:27 says, "Peace I leave with you; my peace I give you." The result of the Holy Spirit's work in our lives is deep and lasting peace. I don't know about you but peace is huge to me. I have to have it. I don't function well when there is a lack of it in my life but thankfully I know where to go to find it. I need His filling constantly throughout my day so that I can operate out of a heart of peace and joy instead of out of anger and frustration and resentment. I'm sure it's something we all long for but are we willing to do what it takes to have it?

No comments: