Tuesday, February 9, 2010

Famous Last Words

I was in the book of 2 Timothy this morning. It took on a different meaning than the other times I've read it. Either I had forgotten or never realized that this was Paul's final letter. As I read it I tried to keep in mind that these were the last words of this great man of God. There's never been another like Paul,aman of deep faith and conviction. So often it is easy for us to serve Christ for the wrong reasons: it's exciting, rewarding, maybe it's relief from guilt. It's much harder to serve Him during difficult times. Paul never quit. He made the Jews mad because he claimed Jesus was God. He made the Romans mad who worshipped Caesar. The Greeks were mad at Paul for saying Jesus was human. He still didn't quit. He knew that even though he was in chains, God's word was not. (2:9)
Paul challenges us throughout this book to live a holy life, to have nothing to do with godless chatter or evil desires. He challenges us to be prepared with sound doctrine and equipped for the last days for they will be difficult. One of my favorite verses is in this book, 1:12---I know whom I have believed, and am convinced that he is able to guard what I have entrusted to him for that day.
What legacy will we leave behind? Are we training up others to carry on when we are gone? We have a responsibility to the next generation. What will they say about us?

Posted by dawn leopard at 4:13 PM

No comments: