Sunday, September 6, 2009

25 years and counting

Our 25th wedding anniversary was Sept. 1st. We had an amazing day at our mountain cabin in the same area that we enjoyed our honeymoon. We started the day with a late breakfast at Old Mill which was delicious. We spent a lot of time at the outlets and ended the day at our favorite restaurant ever, The Peddler. It's the neatest place on the river with incredible food and atmosphere. It really was the perfect day!
It's so hard to believe it's been 25 years. Time really does fly. I have to admit that marrying Eddie is the best decision I ever made after accepting Christ as my Savior. It's amazing when I think of how God brought us together. It's just something that never should have happened. Our meeting came totally out of nowhere and by all human standards would never have happened and certainly never should have ended this way. Like I've said before neither one of us is perfect but I like to think we are perfect for each other. We kinda balance each other out, smooth out each others rough edges. I think one of the main things for me is that he truly is my friend. We established a friendship long before we tried dating and really like each other. Like is an important factor in marriage. Sometimes the like takes you places you need to go when love gets difficult. We're in that place right now where we are seeing our kids become less dependent and empty nest is around the corner. Neither of us is excited about that because our favorite times have always been "just the 6 of us" times. Stephen labeled that when he was very little and would say "I just want it to be the 6 of us". I just love that. Family, all 6 of us, has always been the most important part of our life, the most fun part of our life, and the most exhausting part of our life. But as that empty nest looms closer, it is nice to know that we do still like each other. I'd rather be with him, talk to him, be quiet with him, just hang with him, raise kids with him, worship with him, more than anyone I know. I love him, adore him, am in awe of him, respect him, treasure him, and LIKE him. It is true that God can do amazingly more than we could ever hope or imagine because He has. At 19 when I said "I will" I never imagined how it would be. The hard times really have been bearable with him by my side and the good times have been extraordinary with him. Trust me on this...we owe it ALL to our Lord. The two of us could never have done this marriage thing alone. We would've given up a long time ago. There's too many opportunities to be selfish or insecure or stubborn. God has done a lot of chipping away at our attitudes and natures and He's still chipping but His grace in our lives has been overwhelming. When Bill sang a few weeks ago "were it not for grace, I could tell you where I'd be", wow, I know where I would be and it's not where I want to be. Covered in His grace and my marrage covered in His grace is the only safe zone for me.
Happy 25th anniversary honey, I love you more than you'll ever know.

No comments: