Monday, January 18, 2010

Monday Morning Perspective

We wrapped up our series on worship yesterday. I must say I'm kinda sad about it because I enjoyed those messages so much, but I'm really pumped about the Jonah series. Don't miss the kickoff for that one next week, it's gonna be amazing.
Anyway, we were in the book of John yesterday dealing with personal worship, public worship, and passionate worship.
Personal worship...we saw that Mary worshipped through giving, Martha worshipped through serving and Lazarus worshipped through fellowship. I love how Eddie pointed out that Martha was critical of Mary for not choosing what she chose and that's what Jesus criticized her for, not her choice of service. He also pointed out that Mary took a risk in her choice of worship. Everyone was critical of Mary but she didn't seem to care what others thought. Oh if we could have that attitude. She worshipped in an extravagant way and had that "so-what" attitude concerning what others thought. We also see that she didn't have to defend herself...Jesus did that for her.
That has been the biggest lesson I have learned in recent years...I don't have to defend myself and fight the battles myself. Jesus will fight on our behalf if we are sold out to Him and living for Him. I know it's our nature that when others are saying things about us that are not true or their opinion of us is skewed we want to "straighten them out". I have learned that if I can be patient and wait on the Lord, He will straighten things out for me. It doesn't always happen on our timetable but it is so worth it to see Him work it all out. He makes everything right in His time. I have to remember as a parent how swiftly I want to defend my children, how much more our heavenly father wants to defend us and He will.
Jacob had a great message last night along those same lines. He talked about knowing when to address things and when to walk away, when it's going to turn into a fight just throw up your hands and walk away. I used to think I had to address everything and try to make things right but I've found out that some people don't want it to be right. Some love to fight, love drama, love tension and attention. I'd much rather walk away and just let people think what they want and say what they want because they probably will anyway. I am years away from mudfights praise God. I am also years away from worrying about what everyone thinks, I lived according to that for too long and wasted way too much time doing that.
True worship is to be lived out in every area of our life for our audience of ONE!!

No comments: