Wednesday, December 23, 2009

Merry Christmas to All

I'm choosing to do this the night before Christmas Eve because I really don't want to be on my computer for the next few days.
It truly is the most wonderful time of the year. Nothing quite compares to Christmas, it somehow just stands alone.
It's been a great week for our family however very different. Yes, Chrissie got engaged (still have to blog that, no words yet). Michael, the fiancee, came to spend a few days with us and was loads of fun. He left today to go back to Florida to spend Christmas with his family. My brother's family got snowed in in New York City while on vacation but thankfully have made it home in time for Christmas. My parents got to come spend a few extra days with us this year. They usually go to my brother's house til Christmas Eve but with them in New York we got them a little early which has been awesome. There's been lots of cooking, baking, buying, family time, friend time, but most of all Jesus time. I was determined my gift to Him this Christmas was making sure we had that time together every day even in the hustle and bustle. I was determined He would not get crowded out and I am much better for that.
There's also been plenty of sadness this month. Six of our church family members have had to deal with loss of loved ones, some unexpected, others not. Doesn't really matter though, it still hurts. A family friend of ours lost 2 of their family members within days of each other. They both lost their fathers...unfathomable heartache, can't even pretend to relate. I know it's hard at any time but the Christmas season just seems like it would be the hardest, I don't know. I just know that my prayer for them is much comfort and renewed faith.
Tomorrow is Christmas Eve, can't wait. My kids, even at their ages, still go with their Dad to prepare the candles for the candlelight service at church. I love that service. It's not only beautiful but very sacred. It always impacts me in such a huge way, don't know what I would do without it.
With a daughter engaged I've done a lot of "this is the last time for this", "the last time for that"...very very wierd feeling. It will no longer be the very same for our family but I know it will be good, just different. Remember me talking about getting used to change, yep I'm trying. It did feel like I was sending one of my own away today when Michael left so I guess that's a good sign. I just love that God created us for relationship and even at times when I've wanted to shut down so there would be no more hurt, I just can't. He created us to be in relationship with people. And as I was telling someone the other day, instead of dwelling on the "lasts" and the change taking place, I'm going to choose joy because I know that God is a great and mighty God and He is going to do great and mighty things in our midst.
Praying a very blessed Christmas for all. Keep the main thing the main thing, His name is Jesus...God with us. Praise Him!

No comments: