Monday, October 5, 2009

Renew our mind

I know I am doing better in my resolve to work out because I went to the gym this morning on a cold (by my standards 57 degrees) rainy monday morning. Normally that would have been the perfect excuse to stay home but I didn't. So, I grabbed my ipod but couldn't find my earphones, immediately blamed the kids and took John's off of his desk. When I got to the gym and put in his earphones I then knew he had to be the one who took mine because the left earphone on his didn't work. I jumped on the treadmill and started my workout. Here's the problem... when just one of those earphones doesn't work you can't completely tune out the stuff "out there" that you don't want to hear. In my right ear I was getting my christian music and in my left ear getting that trash music from the gym radio. I promise you it took over half my time there to finally be able to tune that music out. It was the most annoying thing. Then I started thinking how often I have "God stuff" going in one of my ears, by choice, and I let the "world stuff" go in my other ear, by choice. I read God's Word but then listen to the viewpoints of The View. I try to focus on God's view for marriage and family and then on tv see a "reality" show with a family falling apart and mom and dad making money off of putting that on tv for all to see. We go to church and talk about grace and mercy yet we go home and slam those we call our friends and church family. Romans 12:2 tells us that we are to be transformed by the renewing of our mind yet there's a battle for our mind going on and so many times we let stuff in that clutters it. God made me so aware this morning by my earphone problem how diligent I have to be and focused when it comes to my mind. I have to be careful what I listen to and watch and how easily Satan can get in if we just have one of our ears tuned to him. We are not called to be lukewarm. We are called to be totally hot for Him and we can only do that with His help being very careful what we watch, listen to, and who we listen to.

No comments: