Tuesday, October 6, 2009

In love with Self

Before I get into this...yes I facebook, yes I twitter---have my reasons, mostly it's just fun and a great way to communicate with those that I want to communicate with. Some things about it I hate, namely statusing every thought or feeling or trying to jab someone and actually hitting the wrong person. That stuff makes me crazy!!
Now...
I saw this weekend where a college coach has banned twitter for his players. Now as a coach I believe he has the right to do that. If you are going to be on his team he sets the rules, if you don't like it go to another team. He commented that he thinks it's just over the top that people think others are so interested in them and what they're doing (agree) and he doesn't want any tweeting about football and his team. The NBA I understand did that as well because players were doing it on the bench...unbelieveable. Get your mind on the game, be a player.
I think the college football coach has a point. We are a self-absorbed culture anyway. For the most part we really do believe that everyone cares what we're doing and where we're going. I think we have bought into the idea that the world would stop if we were not in it. Have to say I am kinda tired of being around those who think this is their world and we are just all a little speck in it. I've been around enough snotty ones to last me forever. I know that a lot of us are quiet by nature and not so outgoing and so our being reserved is seen by many as being snobby. I always try to look more at how people carry themselves more than by how much they say because I like those who have discipline with using their tongue so much. I don't sit and judge people by how they look but so often you can tell by the way someone "enters a room" whether they think "ok everything can start now, I'm here". UGH. I'm tired of people tooting their own horn about "all I do" translated "this or that could not go on if it weren't for me" or people boasting about their gifts or athletic ability or even boasting about how friendly they are compared to others. OH MY, sometimes I think we've reached an all time low. God's Word says if we are going to boast, boast in the Lord Jesus. He alone is the only one worthy of boasting about and the only one we should truly be interested in what He is doing and what He is up to. Noone else's stuff really makes any difference.

No comments: