Wednesday, February 4, 2009

Still Learning

Ok, wow so much has been going on. Found out a few days before the student ski trip that I needed to go on that trip so I went into extreme overdrive, pulling out all my warm snuggly stuff, packing for 3 instead of 2, getting things prepared on the homefront for 3 males I was leaving behind (must say a huge worry for me wondering what my house would look like with only men in it, but they did pretty good. No complaints.). Have to say soooo glad I got to go and equally thankful for my husband who is very capable of handling things without me even though I like to think that he needs me probably more than he does. Huge thanks to student minister Jacob and his wife Jennifer for allowing me the opportunity to go hang with the kids.

About skiing...I am not very good. Eddie and I have gone with the youth skiing for a long time but it is still like teaching an old dog a new trick. Chrissie was the poor soul who decided to go ski with her mom and just let me say if nothing else I provide lots of laughs and entertainment on the slopes. Poor Chris, she is such a good skiier and I slowed her down tremendously. She was so patient but she did have to tell me, very nicely, that I was going to have to stop flailing my poles when I got nervous. I would just get to going much faster than I wanted to and I would panic and then everyone had to take cover. Just let me add this, I think someone needs to create some poles that you can actually use as brakes. I would pay any price.

I am actually a girl that loves the beach and 90 degrees + weather but we did experience the most beautiful scenery in the midst of very cold temps. It snowed all day Friday, had a chalet atop the mountain and it was breathtaking. What a creative and masterful God we serve! I could have stared out the window for 4 straight days and never gotten bored.

Two of my favorite times of the weekend apart from skiing of course:

1) Having some of the girls sit in my room and chat and laugh. Boy a few of them are just freaking hilarious. I laughed so hard I was crying. And then the ones across the hall laughing and talking (as only girls can with everyone talking at once, yet everyone knows what everyone is saying) with Jennifer. They are just a blast and I love them for their 0penness and acceptance.

2) The devotions at night. Jacob had the kids lead the devotions, prepare them completely on their own and it was awesome. I just continue to be thankful that he allows the students to do this and that they are willing. They are our church leaders of tomorrow.

All in all it was a great trip...no injuries (except one slight collision and no it didn't involve me or my poles), great bonding, beautiful weather (but frigid), and my house was in tact. We followed up the trip with the student Super Bowl parties that were fun and lots of good food. Did miss Sunday services so no comments on those but did hear good things, gotta listen on podcast so gotta go.

By the way when I can figure out how to put pictures on this thing I will post some ski pictures.

No comments: