Wednesday, June 22, 2016

30 Days of Favor with Missy Bryant


The Freedom of Forgiveness

1 John 1:9 - If we confess our sins, He is faithful and just and will forgive us our sins and purify us from all unrighteousness.

For years I struggled with the sin of my past.  I would think about it daily and replay things I had done wrong over and over in my mind.  I would think about how many people I must have hurt and how there was no way they would ever forgive me.  It took me years to realize that it didn’t matter if those people forgave me.  What mattered is that I had confessed my sin to God and that He had forgiven me. Even after I realized that, I was still holding on to all the guilt.  I was having a really hard time accepting God’s forgiveness.

In January of 1995 I found out that I was pregnant with my first child.  Instead of being excited and jumping on the phone to call someone to share my excitement with, I buried my head in shame and cried.  What in the world had happened to me?  I was only 19 years old.  Not married.  My dad had been a pastor all of my life.  I was a Missionary Kid.  How did this happen to me?  I knew better.  All I felt was embarrassment and shame.  I felt like my family and friends would never forgive me or look at me the same.  That was pretty much all I was worried about. I had forgotten who really mattered when it came to forgiveness.

I think we’ve all been through times where we felt as though we were unworthy of God’s forgiveness.  It’s easy for us to tell others of His forgiveness but when it comes to accepting it for ourselves we have a hard time.  Let me share with you some of the things I learned while going through what I felt was the hardest time of my life. 

My God is not a condemning God.  “Therefore, there is now no condemnation for those who are in Christ Jesus.” Romans 8:1

Jesus has set me free.  “So if the Son sets you free, you will be free indeed.” John 8:36 

Because of Jesus Christ I am new. “Therefore, if anyone is in Christ, he is a new creation; the old has gone, the new has come!” 2 Corinthians 5:17 

When I began filling my heart and mind with the truths I was finding in scripture, I began to change. I no longer felt the bondage I had felt for so long. I felt free! The feeling of freedom is a wonderful thing! I was finally able to accept God's forgiveness.

Are you carrying around “stuff” today that God has already forgiven? Do you feel as though you can't carry it anymore? Let me challenge you today to drop it all and accept God's forgiveness. Allow His truth to wash away the bondage of sin you are feeling. Spend time with God today asking Him to help you accept that forgiveness.

Several years have gone by now and I can tell you I am no longer holding on to the things of my past. God, in His grace, has allowed me to continue in the freedom of His forgiveness. One of my favorite verses is found in Matthew 19:26. Jesus looked at them and said, “With man this is impossible, but with God all things are possible.” I praise God today that through Him I have been able to accept his forgiveness and I am no longer a slave to sin!

Cling to God's Word.

Abide in His Word. Jesus said, “If you hold to my teaching, you are really my disciples. 32 Then you will know the truth, and the truth will set you free.” John 8:31-32

Meditate on His Word day and night. But whose delight is in the law of the Lord, and who meditates on his law day and night. Psalm 1:2

Hold fast to His Word as you hold firmly to the word of life. And then I will be able to boast on the day of Christ that I did not run or labor in vain. Phil. 2:16

Hold firm to His Word He must hold firmly to the trustworthy message as it has been taught, so that he can encourage others by sound doctrine and refute those who oppose it. Titus 1:9

Today I pray that you are able to let go to the sin of your past. I pray that you can dig in to God's Word and cling to it. I pray that you are able to feel the transforming power of God's truth and that you feel God's grace. I pray that you confess and move on so that you can fully experience the freedom of His forgiveness. Christ died for us! Walk in that freedom!!

Written by Missy Bryant
Wife to Chad and Mom to Morgan, Madyson, and Ashlyn
Member of Fairview Baptist Church & Favor Team Member

No comments: