Wednesday, June 29, 2016

30 Days of Favor with Johanna Joines

I'm Johanna Joines, a member of Fairview Baptist Church where I have attended all of my life.  I have been married to Scott Joines for 23 years and we have two active boys, Daniel (18) and Will (13).  I am a middle school teacher and love volunteering with our Alive youth group and Favor women’s ministry.  In my free time I enjoy reading and spending time outside. 

On December 20, 2008 my youngest son was diagnosed with Type 1 Diabetes.  We were blindsided by this diagnosis and it ripped my heart out to hear my 6 year old tell people that Santa brought him diabetes for Christmas.  I cried, questioned, and became angry.  I put on a great front but I was falling apart inside.  I blamed myself wondering what I could have done differently to prevent this from happening to my sweet boy.  I prayed that I would become sick and he would magically get better.  It broke my heart to prick the finger of a sleeping child.  I became jealous of people with healthy children and was angry that they weren’t going through what my family was going through.  My life felt like it revolved around numbers from a blood sugar meter and I lost my focus.  It seemed as if his numbers determined my worth as a mother.  My life was consumed by this diagnosis.  One night my oldest son said that I spent too much time researching and worrying about this.  Well that ripped my heart out again and I realized that I had lost my focus.  I then decided that if I was going to get back to normal that I was going to have to consult my owner’s manual—The Bible.  My focus came back slowly and I began to realize that this was just a bump in the road and I was meant to be the mom of a diabetic child.  Through constant prayer and reading I began to relax enough to start sleeping again.  During this time certain scriptures began to guide my life and I read them over and over again.  I found comfort in Romans 8:28.  

This disease is a part of my family for many reasons—some of which I know and some of which I haven’t discovered yet.  I have been able to help other moms and sit back with tears in my eyes when my sweet boy sits down and talks to other diabetic children and helps them.  Will has been a huge support to many kids even our school nurse.  I know God will continue to reveal reasons for this disease to me as life continues.  Through 1 Chronicles 29:1 I discovered that this is not my world and He is in control of everything.  Proverbs 3:5-6 became part of a prayer to help me trust in the Lord with all my heart and to realize that everything on heaven and earth is precious to Him including my children. 

Other scriptures that helped me through this and I hope will provide comfort to you:
Isaiah 55:8-10  His ways are much better than mine and I need to trust in them always.
Isaiah53:3  He understands my pain so much better than anyone else ever could.
Romans 11:33-34
Deuteronomy 32:4  It is impossible for Him to do evil or wrong.
Job 34:10
Psalm 86:15
2 Timothy 2:13  Thank you God for remaining faithful even when I am not showing faith in my times of pain.  Your love is not determined by my behavior.
Colossians 1:17  He holds all things together even when I feel that I cannot.
Hebrews 12:1-3
Romans 8:35-39

1 John 4:18

No comments: