Monday, November 16, 2015

Just pondering...

It's 6am Tuesday morning and I'm still pondering and reflecting last Tuesday. I spent last week at the SC Baptist Convention with my husband. That's one thing I get to go do with him now that our children are older. He used to go with staff and friends and it's one of the things that was a "wait" for me when our children were young. Btw...young moms they'll grow up very fast. Those things that are on the "wait" or "later" list will find their way to you all too quickly. 
Anyway, it was local this year so that made it more convenient as well. And I'm not sure why I was so exhausted from it other than it was out of the normal routine for me. I probably shouldn't say this but I will...the best part other than hanging with Eddie is usually getting to see ministry friends and catch up. It's not the "business" stuff for me. Sorry. So many we don't see through the year other than that time so it's always good. It's also always good meeting new people and I love seeing young new faces who come. This year was great getting to hang with some who've been friends in ministry for over 20 years and also some that we've only gotten to know over this past year who are young and passionate and making an impact for the kingdom. Also having our son Stephen hang with us was an extra treat. At least for us. It's been a while since we drug him around at a convention introducing him to everyone. Actually last time he was probably a very small boy asking over and over when it was going to end. He seemed to have a lot more fun this time around. 
One thing that made it strange or maybe interesting is a better word, is the convention was held in my home church of First Baptist Spartanburg. I first went there with my family when I was seven years old. That was my home church until I got married at age 19, also in that church. I've only been in that sanctuary maybe twice since then. It hasn't really changed at all. We went to the worship service there on Tuesday evening. My mom and dad came with us. We sat on the same side, perhaps even the same pew, or very close to it, that we sat on every Sunday. Actually it's where I sat with my dad. My mom always sat on the left side (my left ☺️) near the top of that massive choir loft. My brother was usually in the balcony with friends. That fact was never good on those Sundays when Dr. Walker called down the teenagers in the balcony during his sermon. That always led to an interesting Sunday lunch which included a long discussion/lecture on behavior in worship. I think my brother and I still agree that those lectures still affect our behavior today =). 
I can only remember one specific message Dr Walker preached in those days...The walk to the Cross. He started on one side of the stage at the manger and as he preached he made his way to the other side where a large cross was placed. That was always the Good Friday message. And it made an impact obviously. Yes, we were in church on Good Friday. And most other times a service was held. My Dad was a strong believer in being in church, not out of duty although he felt it was right, but also because he wanted to be there and he wanted us to be there. Even though I can't remember specific sermons, I remember hearing the Word EVERY time he preached. It's where the gospel came alive to me. I sat in his office with my parents and received Christ there. I was baptized there. I spent my teenage years there being discipled and learning what it meant to be a disciple of Christ. I felt His call on my life in that church even though I didn't know what it would look like. And He is still working there and in churches like that even today. Contrary to what many may believe about the baptist church or traditional church, that's where my walk began and I wouldn't trade that heritage for anything! We even sang hymns in those days and still I was able to worship, pardon the sarcasm. I just find it irritating when people say they "can't" worship that way or the traditional church is no longer effective when I know that is not true. God's not bound by our worship style and long before contemporary was the thing, God was about His business and His people were growing and being discipled. However, I'm quick to say that even though I prefer (and preference can be an evil thing at times and destructive) the newer worship songs, bands, and newer way of doing things, I also know that when we deny that God can use old, new or what hasn't been thought of yet, that's putting God in a box and that's a dangerous thing to do. I'll sure  say that it's harder to minister now than when we started. We've seen a lot!! People don't go to church just because it's right any more. More things vie for time. Culture has changed. It's a different world.  I'll be the the first to say I like church change. I think we need to be on the cutting edge of doing things new and different and take away all excuses people have for not going to church. Doing things the same is often more because we are lazy or fearful than we really believe it works. Look closely, some things aren't working. And we can hold fast to them as leaders and be lazy or be pious and say "if it was good enough back then, it's good enough now".  And as we do that, our ministries and churches die at our feet. We struggle getting people to serve and blame them. Maybe it's boring to them or not challenging enough. Maybe they're looking to make a difference and they don't see what you want them to do as purposeful. I don't know. I do know the main thing is preaching the Word and discipling people. You can't make people choose either but you can set it up for them to want it. I'll be honest. I hated Sunday school once I hit my teens. Yes I was forced to go and I forced my kids to go. I've only had one class since I was a teenager I loved and that's because the teacher was prepared and challenging and loved those of us in there and poured into us outside of the class. So most of the time I taught whether out of a need for a teacher or just because I wanted to and felt called to do it. And saying that let me say this, small groups, no matter what you call them, Sunday school, lifegroup, d group, whatever, should be something everyone's involved in. Too many want to pour out but they don't take in. You can't give out of emptiness. However, those too should be done in a way that people want to be there. 
One thing I do know that's true now as it was waaaayyy back then is that there's no compromising when it comes to preaching God's Word. I want the worship music to be magnificent and inspiring every week like many others do as well. I want our children's ministry to be 2nd to none and every student in the upstate to come to our church. I think everything we do should be done with excellence because it's done for our audience of one and He deserves our very best not our lazy leftovers. And I believe everything should be evaluated. Everything! Even those things we hold tightly to and love that don't work like they "used to". I want visitors to feel overwhelmed with love and acceptance no matter who they are and where they come from. All of that is important. But it's all for one single purpose...to lay the groundwork for people to come to Jesus. For there to be no obstacles or hindrances to people hearing the gospel. Because that is why we have church. 
I pray that when people return to our church years down the road, like I just did and they begin to ponder as I am now, that they'll remember some of the things I remember: hearing the gospel, receiving Christ, feeling His call and knowing His purpose for them, being discipled. 
I have no doubt they will. My husband, our pastor, never enters the pulpit unprepared or prayed up. He believes the whole Word. And he preaches the whole Word. And to think I used to fear what my sundays would be like when I no longer sat under Dr Walkers teaching. I'm so blessed to have spent very few Sunday's without hearing challenging sermons that pushed me further in my walk. As I read Psalm 77 and 78, it reminds me how important it is to ponder all of God's work and His mighty deeds. He is the one who works wonders. Sometime we think we are the ones doing wondrous things. Huge lie. We are capable of nothing without Him. And how crucial it is to share with our children and the next generation all of His glorious deeds. And to warn them not to be a stubborn and rebellious generation and to not forget His works. 
I'm so thankful for all I learned sitting on those pews at FBC Spartanburg under a great man of God. I'm thankful to still be sitting under a great man of God. The churches are different. The music is different. The style is different. But the message is the same. God has not changed. And He's still at work in HIS church. I'll believe to my grave that the only hope is Jesus and it happens through His local church. 
I guess that was a lot of pondering and ranting and probably sounds disjointed. That's usually how it goes when I just reflect. The bottom line is God is good. He is busy about His church. He's watching all that's going on in His church, through the hallways where we don't think He lurks listening to our conversations and  behind the closed doors when we think we can shut Him out. He's interested in all of it, not just Sunday morning. He knows our motives and He's aware of our agendas. 
Like I said it's never been a more difficult time in our culture to minister, but it's also the best time. Even amidst all the happenings of our world, the things that happen and we're forced to admit, "that one, I just don't get it Lord!" Even amidst all the hurt and pain and suffering, I can't imagine doing anything else or serving anywhere else or believing anything else other than God is still on His throne and He still cares deeply about His people and He's going to make all things right and it's going to be alright. 

No comments: