Tuesday, November 26, 2013

Thanksgiving Thoughts

Every time I read psalm 78 I'm blown away. I'm shocked at the behavior of the people of Israel and then I'm shocked at how like them I am at times. God worked miracles for them, provided for them. Over and over they claimed they would follow then they would turn away. They followed with words but not heart. So much to be thankful for, yet how quickly they forgot and returned to their old ways.  And then there's verse 38...yet He was merciful. That just pierces my heart. How often I forget what He has done for me, yet He shows mercy.
He has done so much for my family this year. Just a year ago, Eddie announced to our church family that God was moving us. We didn't know where. We didn't know when. We didn't know how He would provide. But as we talked about it just the other day, it was as if we were in a grace bubble. We should've been in a fetal position scared and depressed yet we felt so free and amazingly sure that God was in total control not only of us but the surrounding circumstances. And here we sit a year later with too many blessings to list, serving Him with more energy and passion than ever and totally undone by His goodness. He provided so much on our behalf, so many of His people showing us love and encouragement that far surpassed those who didn't. He's kept every promise we felt and claimed and done things we didn't even have the foreknowledge to ask Him for.
This Thanksgiving will be different. We will host everyone at our home. It will be the first time ever we are not at my mom and dads but she's not up to that any more so I'm blessed we are here and can do this and I'm so excited. There are days my mom doesn't know me now but most of the time she does. My sister-in-law lost her dad a few months ago so that will be different for her but blessed they'll be with us again. We have another child married so we will share her but we get a new son at the table. And my grand baby will be at the table in utero so how fun is that. We have challenges like everyone else but they don't compare to the goodness of God.  As Eddie preached Sunday, what we think about determines how we feel and how we feel determines how we act so I'm choosing to think about what is true and lovely and how blessed we are!! I'm choosing to think on God's love and forgiveness. I'm choosing to think about ways to love and serve and minister.  And I'm choosing to believe God knowing that my life is not my own and when I let go and let Him, I actually like His way much better.
So then just as you received Christ Jesus as Lord, continue to live in him, rooted and built up in him, strengthened in the faith as you were taught and OVERFLOWING WITH THANKFULNESS! Col 2:6-7
I hope this is the best Thanksgiving you've ever had, reflecting on God's goodness and looking forward to what he has for you!!

No comments: