Monday, June 25, 2012

Monday Morning Perspective

Well we wrapped up 1John yesterday and put a big bow on the top.  This entire series was definitely a gift at least to me.  I love digging deep into these books in God's Word, so many treasures to be found when we are willing to do the work.
I loved the entire message but the best for me was the last.  Idols.  How we try our best to rationalize our way through believing they don't exist in our lives and yet they surround us.  I loved the story Eddie shared from Mark Driscoll.  If you didn't hear the message, jump online and take a listen.  That story was an eye opener all by itself.  I'm thankful Eddie challenged us by pointing out how it's ANYTHING or ANYONE who takes our time, energy, or resources.  It's so difficult in our culture to keep things in a proper perspective.  We get so caught up in celebrities and sports and how many of us have even let another person become our idol not because we like them but maybe because we don't.  They sap our thoughts and we give them power over our emotions.  Yep, that's making them an idol.  Guilty.  One of the things I love about Michael Roth, USC pitcher, is that he says "baseball is what I do, it's not who I am".  What a great perspective and a great lesson for all of us.  I guess my take away is that the more I focus on Christ and the more time I spend in His Word, the less time I have to focus on the things that don't matter and the people that aren't worth my allegiance.  He is the only one worthy of our time, energy and resources.  He's the only one who will never disappoint us or make us feel like we have wasted our time going there.  He's the only one who has our very best in mind.  Happy Monday to all!!

No comments: