Thursday, August 12, 2010

Former Ingroup...this one's for you

Just had to take a moment to give a shout out to my former ingroup.
I remember sitting on my backporch one evening after dinner with Brandon Bowers who was explaining his vision for ingroups...indepth bible study with fellowship, the perfect combo. I remember him looking at me and asking if I would consider leading one of the groups. I immediately said yes cause I loved the whole idea but I added, "I want those 7th graders". One reason is I wanted to get a group from the start and go the whole way, I also wanted Stephen's grade of girls. He said ok, I said ok and the rest is history.
I had no idea all that God was going to do from that moment on. I had no idea how this group of crazy, talk-all-the-time, full of energy bunch of girls would take hold of my heart and run with it. I had no idea how much I would learn from them and how much I could truly love kids not my own. It's so hard to explain other than it has been such a God thing.
As you girls move on to college I just have to reminisce a bit. I wouldn't trade anything in this world for our time together. Nothing in my ministry has ever compared to piling up on the couch or in the floor with you, opening God's Word and watching Him work among all of us. The times we spent in that circle praying whether on our knees or in our special hand holding twisting around way is forever impressed on my heart. Hearing you voice those prayers, hearing you share what God was doing in your life goes beyond anything I've ever done in ministry. I'm going to miss our Fair times, movie nights, Christmas parties, the road rage during the hunts even amidst your griping and complaining trying to win and not get pulled for speeding. I'll even miss our dinners out even though we drove waiters and all around us nuts and I threatened to never take you all out in public again. We learned so much about one another and especially Jesus as we put away all those burgers, tacos, chicken, and pounds of chips and cookies. We lived life real together. We cried hard together and we laughed hard. We got all in each others business holding one another accountable. You put up with me even when I told you you could do better with those boyfriend choices and needed to be wiser with friends. We lived honestly with each other and that's the only way to really live and love. I'm just grateful at least a few of you still love me.
As much as I dread you leaving and will miss you like a limb, I am so proud of you. God has chosen this class, guys and girls, to shoot you out all over this state. From the low state to the midlands to the upstate, He is placing you all over. You have a strong foundation and He knows you are ready. There's no better group to send out. You have grown so much and He is going to use you in a mighty way.
My challenge is to stand firm. Continue to grow in Him. Choose friends who will hold you accountable to your values. Get involved in a church that will minister to you and allow you to use your gifts to serve. You have so much to offer. Don't neglect your own time with the Lord, you can't afford to let that slip in college. Keep the bar high for those you date. We spent hours talking about that bar so don't accept one that falls beneath it. You all deserve that godly guy who loves Jesus and you more than himself. Leave the ucky ones alone, remember we always said "they are a dime a dozen". The good ones really are out there, you just have to trust God to bring them along in His time and make sure you are living a life worthy of receiving God's best. Remember all the people He brings your way is there for a purpose. That roomie that drives you crazy at times, that suitemate that annoys you, that girl down the hall with the loud music or tv, even that professor who seems to live to make your life miserable has been placed there for you to have an impact on. Live at peace with others as far as it depends on you, hold your tongue, words are so hard to take back, and LOVE LOVE LOVE.
Got to wrap it up but remember I live in the same house at least for now so you all know where I am. My Gamecock girls, Eddie and I would love to take you to lunch on some Fridays when we're in Columbia if you'll give us the honor. Lindsey, you're my intown girl so we can lunch anytime you want and I love drop-bys. My upstate girls, you know I will be there a LOT soooo, just saying, would love to see you. Graham, I don't go to Beaufort much but I will if you call. Unbelieveable how God is placing you girls all over the place...wow!!
I love all of you. Just because you are moving on doesn't mean you will move off of my prayer list or out of my heart. You girls have come so far and it's been a joy to see you grow up and grow in your relationship with the Lord. I am better for having been a part of your life. God really probably did teach me more through you than I ever taught you. I am so grateful to Him for the opportunity to spend those precious years with you and for every moment and every memory. Now you all go and be blessed and do a mighty work for Him and pass on that glory to Him, remember we hold none for ourselves. Pour yourself out, you will never regret what you do for Him.
Col. 1:9-12...Eph. 3:14-21

No comments: