Tuesday, June 9, 2009

This one's for you Jess

I have been trying to do this for several weeks. I thought I could do it without so much emotion several weeks before graduation but I was wrong. I was even crazy enough to try it the day before...that was a disaster. So now I am going to try this several days later, may take a few tries to get it done. Anyway...Jess this is a dedication to you for your high school graduation.

My my my how time really does fly. I know for you school must have seemed to drag on forever but from the time you started 1st grade it seems like time began to race by at break-neck speed. Especially this past year, it seems like since Sept. everywhere I turned people and things seemed to be trying to hurry you on through high school while I hung on for dear life trying to make time slow down and enjoy every "last" event. Your last time cheering on the sidelines, your last time cheering for the basketball team, your last pageant, your last Homecoming game, your last rivalry games, your last prom, your last basketball game, and on and on and on. It's so hard seeing things end even though I know there are so many exciting things still ahead.

I just want you to know in writing how tremendously proud of you I am. I told you that if you could graduate South Aiken High School with your morals intact, your love for Christ strong, and still holding fast to your convictions, that you would be my hero. Well, baby girl, you are a hero of mine. Being able to accomplish that alone is not an easy task these days in a public high school where so much is thrown at you from every angle, but also to be a leader is a great accomplishment. You have been a great witness and example of how powerful Christ in you can be. He has proved Himself faithful time and time again in your life. He has been the author and perfector of your faith. He has proven that He can be your best friend when it seems there are no other friends around.

It's been a joy to see you lead in your youth group. It's been a parent's dream to never have to make you go to church or be involved. Throughout your years as a teenager you have served in your church and studied His Word through your bible study groups there. You have sought out others to join you on world changers trips and beach camps. You are a shining example of bringing others to Him.

Our prayer for you has always been that you would love Christ and desire Him above everything and everyone else. That you would seek Him with all of your heart. That you would run hard after Him, clinging to Him in the rough times and rejoicing with Him in the good times. That you would keep your eyes fixed upon Him, your heart set on Him and never compromise your convictions for anyone.

This marathon is not over just because high school is over. God has set the race before you and promised to run it with you. Stay on the narrow path for that is where you will find the joy and peace and direction from your Lord. You may not find many willing to run that way with you, but He will never leave you or forsake you. He will be the greatest friend you will ever have.

The future is so bright and promising. I can't wait to see what He has in store for you. I love you. You are everything and more your Dad and I could ever want you to be and we are so very proud of you!! Congratulations on your graduation.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

That is so precious. She has always been a sweet girl. I remember when she was in the first grade, and we would sit in the old library together waiting to go on stage for the LCT. Time does fly! I know you are proud. I pray that she will continue to grow in her faith and walk with the Savior! God's gifts to us are so very precious!