Sunday, June 21, 2009

Father's Day

So it's Father's Day so I thought I would talk a little about my father and my kids' father but saving my cheesy stuff for him til our 25th comes around. Anyway couldn't let this day pass without saying something about 2 of the most special people in my life so here goes...
Daddy, you are such a huge blessing in my life. Growing up you were always the steady rock when things seemed somewhat chaotic. Can't remember ever hearing you raise your voice but you sure had our respect and I knew the boundaries. Boy, am I glad for those boundaries. They helped me many times to make the smart choice. You taught me so much about how to treat people. I used to get aggravated when we couldn't go anywhere without people stopping us to talk to you, but I realize how people truly have always liked you. You give people time and at least always seemed as though you were interested in their life and happenings. You taught me not to rush through life but to take time for others. You passed down a strong Christian heritage. There was never any doubt where you stood or what your convictions were. We always knew better than to even ask on Saturday if we were going to church Sunday. When we did ask we would just get that look as if to say, "unless one of us is dead or dying, yes we will be there". I'm so grateful. You let us know early on that that's where we would be come Sunday. I'm also grateful that you taught me so much about sports. You didn't treat me like a boy but you made me aware that sports was something girls could enjoy as well. I'm so glad you included me and taught me because you know I have spent most of my adult life on one ball field or another. You made family priority and I appreciate that. It was never just you and Jim but we all went places as a family.
Thanks Dad for all you taught me but mostly thank you for showing me Jesus in every way and making Him Priority in our family. You made me fall in love with my heavenly father because of the kind of father you were. I love you so much.

Now for you honey. I know you don't esteem one day over any other but since I occassionally do, here goes. It has been a blast raising four kids with you. They are so blessed to have a Dad of true conviction. You have shown them what serving Christ is all about. You have shown them how to balance ministry and family without either having to suffer. You've kept Christ first but never allowed church to take first place or any place over them. They will never be able to say that you neglected them for the sake of ministry and I know that's why they love not only Jesus as much as they do but also they love the church. It's never been more important to their Dad than they were.
You absolutely have to be the best dad for boys and girls I've ever known. You enjoyed dance recitals and cheerleading competitions even though you didn't really get what you were watching. You cheered them on and always thought they were the best. You've put up with boys hanging around even when you had rather sent them packing. You put up with pajama parties and girls giggling and talking late into the night, loudly, even on Saturday nights. Whatever the boys ever accomplish with sports, they owe a lot of credit to you. You were never too busy to shoot hoops or play catch. You made a mound in the backyard and caught endless pitches, sometimes taking it on the shin or pulling balls out of the pool. You taught them so much about the game but mostly about being a team player and working hard. You've taught them that there's no place for playing for yourself and your own stats. It's about the team and in a culture where everyone is out for themselves and what they can get out of it, it's very rare to see two boys who really play for the team. The credit for that goes to you as well.
You always said that if your kids turned out to be stinkers it would be because they spent so much time WITH their dad and not away from him. Well, they've been stinkers a time or two but mostly they've been real treasures. Thanks for making our kids priority and giving so much of yourself to being a great Dad. We all love you and are blessed to call you ours.

No comments: