Monday, January 31, 2011

Monday Morning Perspective

Prayer...that was our focus.  I do love acrostics and that's what Eddie used to walk us through a fabulous message on prayer...Adoration,Confession,Thanksgiving,Supplication.
Eddie said right out of the gate that of all the things the disciples could have asked Jesus to teach them, they asked Him to teach them to pray. I think that's so interesting compared to what I usually ask Jesus for.  However, the disciples knew that if they learned to pray and connect with God through prayer, that would be the key to everything else.  Prayer is definitely the power source.  My fave part was the statement...suppose our blessings of tomorrow depended on our thanksgiving today.  I love that because so often I'm guilty of having a prayer answered and my feelings are that of thanksgiving but I so often don't stop and speak thanksgiving to Him.  I need to stop in my tracks more and really SAY thank you.
The past 14 days Eddie and I have been doing the Daniel fast together.  It has been harder than I thought it would be.  One of the things it pointed out to me was the fact that so often I don't really care to have something until I'm told I can't have it.  I wanted so many foods that I never focus on wanting until it was all of a sudden on my don't list.  How often are we like that in other things?  We don't want a certain guy until another girl gets him then we want him or vice-versa.  We don't want a material object til someone else gets it then it's all we want.  We may not want to be friends with someone until someone else is or all of a sudden they don't care to be ours.  Why is our flesh that way???
I did get some major prayer requests answered on this fast.  I am VERY THANKFUL for those.  There have been some of those things on the very top of my prayer list that God chose to answer in a way that gave much needed peace.  He answered a few in a way that I wouldn't have chosen but now I'm just praying for the grace to receive and accept that answer and be good with it.  Fasting is one of the disciplines that I've practiced very little but I'm hoping to incorporate it more often.

No comments: