Wednesday, September 29, 2010

A little bit of wierdness

Had a different kind of experience recently.  I guess it could possibly be the 1st of more to come but I kinda hope not.
Stephen is now playing college baseball at SMC and John has spent the fall playing for a travel team and wouldn't you know it, John's travel team went to SMC to play for a weekend.  Just so happens, or I believe some coaches conniving, their teams played each other.  What makes it a little strange is that John's team isn't a college team so didn't really expect this to happen at this point in time.  Here's the other kicker...John started for his team, Stephen started for his.  Ok, this could not have been anything but coaches conniving together because God loves me too much to do that to me and I don't believe in fate or chance but I do believe that people connive, funny to them not so much to me.
It's really hard to describe that feeling.  There was definitely a sense of being proud of them.  They both have worked hard and are very capable.  They both love the competition even with each other.  They were fine with it so why wasn't I???  It just seemed like everything in the universe was messed up for those moments.  There was also that sense of wierdness.  They've played together and they've played on different teams before but never on opposing teams, didn't like it at all and don't think I ever will.  I had my Cardinal shirt on for John and my SMC hat on for Stephen.  No, I didn't match but at least I represented both.  I was praying for both of them to leave the game 0 to 0, didn't happen.  It was 1-1 so that works too.  Stats were fairly similar and that's really all this mom cared about.  Didn't care who won the game, another wierd feeling because I have to admit a lot of their competition and love for winning comes from me as well as their dad...none of the Leopards like to lose.
The one highlight...before the game you could look down into the bullpen and they were warming up next to each other.  Side by side, doing what they've been doing since they were about 9 yet this time one was in red the other in blue.  It would've been so easy to give in to those tears dying to pour down my face but for the sake of embarrassing my boys and my girls sitting there by me, I didn't.  We do have some pics of that and when I get them off of my girls' cameras I will post them cause they really are pretty cool.

1 comment:

The Aiken ite said...

Well, it takes a mom to know how you felt and I have tears in my eyes reading about it. Truly, we love all of our children with equal strength. I bet this is a great future memory for them and a legendary family story.