Monday, March 14, 2016

Monday Morning Perspective

For the Life on Mission message this week we turned to my favorite book in the Bible, Colossians. I absolutely love that New Testament book. We dissected 4:2-6, verses that are rich and stirring.  
Eddie made the comment that the longer we are Christians the fewer non-Christian friends we seem to have. That means the more intentional we need to be at looking for opportunities. 
This passage of scripture challenges us to be devoted in prayer. We looked at what Paul was praying for and it wasn't that his prison doors be opened but that the doors of opportunity to spread the gospel would be open. 
After we pray, we must go. And it's an as we go word. We must be wise in how we act as we go. Eddie gave a glimpse into what that looked like for him which should encourage us that even in our times of messing up, God is still powerful and capable of using us and getting glory. 
Then after we pray and as we go we must open our mouths and say something. We must speak the gospel as well as live it. Eddie mentioned that we are called to be salt and that means we are to preserve, add flavor to this tasteless world and create a thirst for the things of God. 
This was one of the best messages and most challenging in this series. I'm not looking forward to this one ending. 
We had a super special guest (at least to us) share the life on mission moment at the end of Eddie's message. She's Noelle Boiano. We've come to love her as we've heard and seen her heart for Jesus and people. She works at the North American Mission Board so having her share as we go into this season of Annie Armstrong Easter offering was sweet. Her testimony of reaching others was powerful and a great reminder that whether it's with our family or others, they're lining up what we say about Jesus with how we are living and acting. I loved the transparency with which she shared. I've never met someone who right from the start was just herself and very comfortable in her own skin. That's probably my favorite part about her, no pretense, no fake, what you see really is what you get. 
Keiffer Mendoza had all of us messed up at night church with his worship leading. He strummed as Noelle shared and we could not keep it together. We blame him hahaha! It was also the best song set going along with this series. I'm growing to love this band more every week, not just their leading but hearing their hearts as they share in leading and just talking to them off stage. Don't fear!! God is raising up a mighty generation to continue to spread the gospel as long as He chooses to tarry. 
And the young guys manning the sound booth, I'm so blessed by you! We are building depth so that others are capable of stepping up to lead, but also they're doing things they're not even asked to do or expected to do, little things that others may not even notice! Our volunteers' energy and passion and joy is contagious! I wish I could bottle it and give it away! Side note...sometimes I'm discouraged that there are those who fill many churches who are paid with a title who have less passion and are less willing to step outside of their "job description". Volunteers work circles around them. It's a job. It's a paycheck. It's not a calling and a passion and that's so sad to me. I know the importance of balancing ministry and family and the need for rest, but some are rested enough. Time is short. There's much work to do. And I believe little time left. I doubt anyone has gotten to heaven and said "I wish I had slept more. I wish I had delegated more. I wish I had more time off." And that's the end of my sermon! Have a great Monday. Hope you're prayed up and ready to go. Just don't forget to speak. 

No comments: