Saturday, July 12, 2014

Living beyond the status quo

One of my favorite sections of the bible is 1 Chronicles 15-17. I so hope God has a video in heaven that we can watch this scene. I can feel the emotion and passion even on the printed page. We see that David learned a lesson about following God's instructions precisely. We see that David didn't care what people thought when it came to His praise and worship of God while his wife Michal was all wrapped up in what people thought and looking "dignified". She wouldn't even take part in the celebration opting to watch from her window. We see how David responded to her in the account in 2 Samuel 6. It's worth the read 😊. We see David's praise before the people and then his prayer as he sat before The Lord. 
I want to live like this. I want to live where I don't care what anyone thinks when it comes to living for God. I want a heart totally sold out to Him! I want to be a David, not a Michal. 
I was talking to my son Stephen back at the first of the year. We were talking about dating and relationships, the future, his generation, just a hodge podge of stuff. He made a comment that took me back a little. He said, "I don't want a nice church girl". He thankfully explained because isn't that what every mom wants for her son, a "nice church girl"?  I think the "nice church girl" (or boy for that matter) just wants to get married, be comfortable financially and go to church on Sunday as if to mark that off the "to do" list. They want someone they look good with, who grew up in church but for heavens sake is not fanatical. It's someone who's kind of in a bubble. The bubble is clean and filled with people just like themselves. They don't really know what life is like outside of what they know.  So many of us have grown up with that thinking. It's the status quo, American dream, living in the comfort zone but never really living. Boring. And we wonder why others don't want to live the Christian life. Living out God's purpose is much more exciting and it makes an impact on this world. I get what Stephen meant. He wants someone who wants more than the status quo. Someone with a passion to make a mark on this planet for Jesus sake. Someone more concerned with His glory and His name than making a name for himself or herself. Not concerned with writing their own ticket. Someone willing to do whatever it takes to win others to Jesus even if it's messy and your hands get dirty. The last thing this mom wants is for either of her boys to end up with a Michal. Or to be a Michal! Michals after all are a dime a dozen.  Thankful my girls married a David! 
Had we rather not live with the passion of David and be married to a David who falls before God exclaiming "there is no one like you O Lord and there is no God but you! Who am I that You have brought me this far?" Thankfully there's more David's out there than we hear about, guys and girls, living for God and taking Jesus to the darker places of this country and world. They're living a life of purpose walking it out in faith. And they're experiencing all kinds of Jesus moments. I'm not just talking about the young ones. As long as we are breathing, God has purpose for us. He wants to show us things and take us places that we've never imagined. Don't settle for the status quo. Don't settle for boredom. 
Don't be afraid to dance before Him. Don't worry about what others think. Don't be a Michal. Be a David! 

No comments: