Tuesday, November 25, 2014

Thanksgiving from Numbers 11

I know Numbers 11 seems like an odd place to receive a word on thanksgiving but not if you read it and ponder it. I was there this morning and it spoke so many things over me. I probably need to read this chapter every single day. 
In Numbers 11 we see how faithful God had been in providing food for the people to eat but that wasn't enough for them. They began to want a different food. They began to think back to what they had in Egypt and missed it. Of course they had forgotten what they had to endure. That's how we are so often when we look back. We only remember the good and not the consequences and tjhe problems. Interesting how God was angry with the people because they complained to one another. He wasn't angry with Moses who came to Him with his complaints. Always go to God! He's the only one who has the power to do something about our circumstances anyway. 
The biggest lesson I got from all of this is this...dissatisfaction comes when I begin to think about what I want and don't have instead of all that I do have. They had forgotten all that God had already done for them and what He promised to do. Every morning these people experienced a miracle but it wasn't good enough for them any more. Last night at lifegroup Stephen mentioned that we say God doesnt still do miracles. But He does! We are just focused on other things to notice. That's so true. 
My sweet mom has Alzheimer's. All she has is the moment and thankfully she enjoys the moment, most of the time.  You can spend hours with her and leave and she won't remember you being there but while you're there she loves it. That's been so convicting to me. So often I can have most of my family around but feel bad for the one that's missing. I've determined in my mind and heart to stop that. He has blessed us at this particular season to have all of our children living close. But they're all either in ministry or called to it so who knows how long this season will last. It's extra sweet because for too long either because of ministry or college we have been scattered. I've determined that for however long it lasts and whomever I get to enjoy at the moment that's going to be enough. Nothing's better than everyone all together in one place laughing and talking and enjoying the same moment, but that can't be my "be all end all" of joy. 
Hebrews 12:28-29 says, Therefore since we are receiving a kingdom that cannot be shaken, let us be thankful and so worship God acceptably with reverence and awe, for our God is a consuming fire." When our focus is on God and we are living a life of thanksgiving, nothing can shake us. He is our foundation and He is a firm foundation. This life isn't all we have. We have all of eternity to look forward to. I'm especially thankful that all of my family is saved. We may at another season of time be separated and even now for days or for certain times for certain things, but we will spend all of eternity together and that my friends is all we need to have a Happy Thanksgiving. If you have someone on your heart that you want to spend all of eternity with and you're unsure if that's possible now, the greatest thing you can do this holiday season is share Jesus with them and pray God will make that a reality. And for those who have gone before us to heaven and we miss them terribly especially at this time of year, rest in the fact that this is only for a short time compared to all of eternity. I hope as you gather around your table or tables at Thanksgiving you and yours can focus on all that God has already done and all that He has promised He will still do. He is forever faithful! Happy Thanksgiving!!

No comments: