Monday, April 7, 2014

Monday Morning Perspective

Since 5:30 this morning I've been listening to the rain fall. I actually love it. I know most of today I'll be home working on things and I love rainy days at home. However I realize many will have to be out in it and I always feel especially bad for college kids having to spend the whole day in it walking from class to class so I started prayer time this morning focused on them. Then I spent time thinking how much God has rained down on us spiritually and every other way this year as a family and church family. Yesterday was our one year Sunday at fairview. I was so overwhelmed by it. God spoke many things over us, especially my husband, in in the months prior to our coming here. Yesterday I couldn't help but sense Him say, this is just a glimpse of what I said I was going to do. Families were lined up to join, people were on the altar, Eddie's message was incredible and it was just a day where it was impossible not to feel God's presence. 
Ok, already said the message was incredible. So here are a few things worth pointing out but it can't begin to touch the surface so check it out online (hoping podcast will be available this week). We continued in Nehemiah as we looked at facing challenges which come along when God gives us a great opportunity and my oh my God has given us some opportunities as a church. Eddie showed us the danger of not being focused on what we are called to do. Nehemiah's focus was the wall even though there were lots of things that needed to be done. 
We also saw how the people saw the need but didn't really see it. They had lost sensitivity to it because they were used to it. Good leaders understand reality but they see a desired future. Nehemiah had a "we" and "us" mentality rather than "I" and "me". Like Eddie said, "we and us is a must. I and me is a bust". I loved his challenge that if we all catch the vision of investing in people and inviting people, we will see God do amazing things. 
Finally, there's nothing like standing up against opposition and God getting the victory. It doesn't mean that, even in light of the victory, the naysayers won't still be critical and skeptical. If constructive criticism is right, make adjustments. If it's off base, press on. We know all about those people who say "you're crazy to do this", "you won't be able to make it", "why would you do this". But we know, like Nehemiah, we serve a God who can do immeasurably more than we could ever think or imagine. 
As Eddie said, trust God, stand on His truth, and stay at it! 
Have a blessed Monday and as the rain falls think of how much God has rained down blessings on your life. We will probably all experience flooding if we are honest with ourselves. 

No comments: