Monday, December 17, 2012

Monday Morning Perspective in the midst of so much hurt

I've said it over and over again and I'll say it again...one of the greatest joys of being the senior pastor's wife is the opportunity to be on the front lines of people's lives.  I get to hear and rejoice with many over what God is doing in their lives.  I get to hear from them the struggles and have the privilege of praying for them and with them.  I get to weep with them over the hurt of loss.  So much is not easy and after years in ministry it never gets easier to see the hurt but I get to see God in action and I get to hear words of faith come from so many even in the midst of the struggle and that never gets old!!  JUST LAST WEEK came messages and calls from those facing job loss and 3 deaths of loved ones.  Then top it off with the fears of some from the school shooting in Newtown, CT.  So much heartache, fear, anxiety.  I'm so thankful when I hear people in my church as well as on tv talk of the bigness of God and how they trust Him knowing He is always good and constant.  I'm so thankful for the people who don't waiver in their faith and reach out to those who are waivering a bit to offer hope and encouragement.  I got to witness all of that last week.  I got to witness my husband ministering up close and personal and see the compassion he has for the lost and the hurting.  My favorite time of day is when we go to bed at night and grasp hands and begin to pray together over the day and all the people that God has put in our path and those we love in our church family as well as friends and our own family.  To be able to offer those prayers up to a God we KNOW hears and cares and acts is the most comforting thing of all.  Our hearts ache for those who don't have that assurance and God is burning within us the need to share Him more and more in this sin sick world we live in where tragedy is now much more common than rare.  Eddie said to me last night that it's a time where it's one tragedy on top of another.  Mall shootings, school shootings, robberies and shootings in our town and all over the country that just don't get a lot of press but they're happening constantly.  These are not times to cower in fear but to stand firm on the hope we have in Christ and share that hope with everyone we see.  These are not times to trust in the political system for change or our educational system to make things better.  Jesus Christ is the only hope we have.  I'm so thankful for all the ministers I've seen on tv on the major networks nationally who are sharing the truth and scripture for people.  I am amazed that they are even given air time but it's times of tragedy that we seem to want to hear from God and I'm thankful they are taking the opportunities they are given.  I'm praying that as a country we become a people who daily want to hear from God and that it will begin with His people.  Because until His people get serious about Him, the healing won't happen.
I'm praying that as all of us go about this next week getting ready and preparing for our Christmas celebrations, that we will remember those who are planning funerals.  That we will remember those sitting at the bedside of those sick and dying.  That we will remember those who have lost their job.  And that we will remember that in the midst of all of that, we can still celebrate Christmas because the real meaning is that God sent His Son to us so that in times like this when we are hurting there is One who knows exactly how we feel, exactly what we are going through and He will draw near to all of those who draw near to Him!!  Immanuel, God truly is with us!!!
As for yesterday's message...WOW!!  God press on our hearts to be the church you've called us to be.  May we return to You our 1st and greatest love.  Another perk, I get to hear how these messages are doing a work in people's lives!! I'm right there with you, they are working hard on me!!!

No comments: